Monday

Trippin' Around the World

If there is anything I have learned in the last seven years from living on the road, it is that there are 6 critical things you must have to survive. For me they are hard, fast rules. Here's my list:

1. A current, valid US Passport. Obvious, right? If you have ever gotten to the customs desk and misplaced your passport you know what I mean.
2. The second is even more obvious to me. A toothbrush! If you don't believe me, take a trans-Atlantic flight and don't pack one in your carry on. You'll see! There is nothing worst than falling asleep as the the plane leaves JFK and waking up in Paris with something dead in your mouth!

3. You need to have the ability to sleep ANYWHERE and be happy about it. This little virtue has come in handy on numerous occasions, especially when I travel with Launi. We never know where we are going to end up.

4. The fourth thing is the knowledge of knowing where every Starbucks in the entire world is located. Now, you all may think this is odd considering I don't drink coffee but they always have really fast Wi-fi for my computer...and they do make great vanilla steamers.

5. You've gotta have cute shoes. If you are a girl, you understand. If you don't, take some estrogen. Traveling with comfortable shoes is important but making sure they are cute is essential.(This rule is pretty much chiseled in stone. Life is too short to wear ugly shoes.)

6. A best friend. Life on the road, whether vacationing or working requires a best friend. Although my husband Al is great to travel with, nothing could ever compare to Launi. Never have two girls perfected the art of doing nothing like we have. We are totally content to do nothing in Cancun, Rome, Paris, Praque.. you name it. But the overwhelming advantage to traveling with Launi is that she knows where to buy the best gelato in every city in Europe. And that is priceless!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Reading your post reminded me I need to renew my passport! I haven't done that for a long time...

Plus--you have a favorite song on your blog! My parents' love song is Longer--it popped on when I looked! How cute! Plus I love David Archuletta...

I wish I was at the beach too...the snow was a little much the other day--I was being positive!

Renee said...

Cute pink shoes!

A. Adams said...

I just have to tell you that I picked up one of your cards in a store in Ellijay, GA this past weekend - it was the card about best friends - the one with "soul mates" on the inside. Well I couldn't have written the verse inside that card any better myself. It truly describes me and my best friend. About a month ago, I even told her she "got me" and that we were "soul mates" - then I found your card. It's truly amazing. Thank you for knowing women and celebrating the deep bonds that women have.
A. Adams, Fellow Whacky Chick and Blogger

Catherine said...

Hi Suzy! You are so right about the shoes. I have the cutest black RocketDogs that I have been wearing on the road. I just got back from Nepal and have been thinking about you and so I was thrilled to find your blog and the fun playlist! So many great things are happening with our projects in Nepal, including the women's group up in Bhotechaur. I'm now packing for Costa Rica. Let's talk before I head south! Big hugs, Catherine

Amy said...

Love the new look to your blog! It's very you!

Amy Evensen said...

Thank you for your comment! You are so nice! I would love to meet you as well! Launi always has such wonderful things to say about you!

Annalee said...

I came across your blog from a comment you made on Kirsten's. I haven't seen Launi since they moved from Sitka! Her house was one of my FAVORITE places in the world. She is AWESOME!! it's good to see this amazing person who taught Kirsten, Jimmy and I that diet coke and m&m's are a perfectly acceptable breakfast combination! Please tell her hello for me! Annalee Foster